- Cambridge-Isanti Schools
- IIS/SFAS Home
On Track for Kindergarten 2021-2022
March 2021 - Imagination
- Provide your child with safe household items to build a fort. While you play together, pretend to be favorite characters from a book. You can even make up your own!
- Use language such as, "Imagine if...," and have your child finish the thought.
- Take time to gather materials for Kindergarten.
- Birth Certificate
- Proof of Residence
February 2021 Monthly Focus - Friendship, Kindness, and Creativity
- Get out the glue, scissors, crayons, and paint to create a card for a friend, neighbor, or family member. Make sure your child attempts to sign their own name!
- As you make the card, discuss how to use words to express feelings.
- Early Childhood Screening is a quick and simple check of how children are doing and is required prior to starting Kindergarten. If your child has not been screened, go the the Early Childhood Screening website to sign up now.
- Register your child for Kindergarten. Review the Kindergarten Registration website, and fill out the online registration form.
January 2021 Monthly Focus - Self-Help, Science Exploration, and Large Motor
It’s time to get outside and independence is key.
- Self-Help - Have your child put on their own snow gear. It may take a little bit longer, but it’s good practice! It’s okay to help, but encourage your child to do most of the dressing.
- Large Motor - Take turns being the leader as you play in the snow together. What kind of animal tracks can you make together?
- Science Exploration - Too chilly to play outside? That’s okay, bring the outside to the inside! Bring in some snow to do some investigating! What happens if you put snow, in a bowl, on the table? What happens if you put snow in a bowl, and keep it in the freezer?
- Watch for a Kindergarten Registration Packet at the end of this month.
December 2020 Monthly Focus - Fine Motor Skills
Just like large muscles, your child's little hand muscles need practice in order to be successful.
- Give your child dried pasta, cereal, or big buttons to string into a decoration or a necklace.
- If you are wrapping presents this month, this would be a great time to practice scissor skills by cutting paper and ribbon together.
- Also, encourage independence as your child attempts to put on their own outdoor clothing, which includes zipping up their own coat.
- This is a good month to make sure all your child's immunizations are up to date.
- Has your child had a "real" eye exam, a comprehensive eye exam? Think about making an appointment with an eye doctor in the next month or so. This appointment will not only check their vision, but also get a baseline about their eye health.
November 2020 Monthly Focus - Social Emotional Skills
Understanding our feelings and learning how to be a nice friend are skills learned early in life!
- Have a family game night! Introduce a simple board or card game such as Memory, Simon Says, or Go Fish. Practice taking turns.
- Model how to encourage others during game nights. Did you know it’s okay for your child to not win? This is a great opportunity to practice winning and losing and how to appropriately express disappointment and celebrate when others win.
- Check out the Cambridge Library! Get a library card and check out a book or two. Also, check out the Play + Learn Kits they have available! Look at their website for more details. https://ecrlib.org
October 2020 Monthly Focus - We are thinking of you!
We are excited that you will be in Kindergarten soon! I bet you are too!
- Drive or walk by your local school. On your way, do a letter search. Help your child find the letters in their first name.
- If you have time, check out the school playgrounds. Look at all the fun things to climb and play on!
- Tell your child a story about your Kindergarten teacher and ask them what they are excited about.
- Did you know that your child needs to complete Early Childhood Screening before Kindergarten? Check out this link for more information and to register, it’s free and done at the school. Share this with others too! https://c-ischools.ce.eleyo.com/courses/category/ecfe/87/early-childhood-screening