POLICY 521 - STUDENT DISABILITY NONDISCRIMINATION
The purpose of this policy is to protect students with disabilities from discrimination on the basis of disability and to identify and evaluate learners who, within the intent of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), need services, accommodations, or programs in order that such learners may receive a free appropriate public education.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
- Students with disabilities who meet the criteria of Paragraph C. below are protected from discrimination on the basis of a disability.
- The responsibility of the school district is to identify and evaluate learners who, within the intent of Section 504, need services, accommodations, or programs in order that such learners may receive a free appropriate public education.
- For this policy, a learner who is protected under Section 504 is one who:
- has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of such person’s major life activities; or
- has a record of such an impairment; or
- is regarded as having such an impairment.
- Learners may be protected from disability discrimination and be eligible for services, accommodations, or programs under the provisions of Section 504 even though they are not eligible for special education pursuant to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
Persons who have questions or comments should contact the Director of Student Support Services.
Julie Williams, Director of Student Support Services
625A Main Street N, Cambridge, MN 55008
This person is the school district’s Americans with Disabilities Act/Section 504 coordinator. Persons who wish to make a complaint regarding a disability discrimination matter may use the accompanying Student Disability Discrimination Grievance Report Form. The form should be given to the ADA/Section 504 coordinator.
Source: Cambridge-Isanti Schools
- 42 U.S.C. Ch. 126 (Equal Opportunity for Individuals with Disabilities)
29 U.S.C. § 794 et seq. (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, § 504)
34 C.F.R. Part 104 (Section 504 Implementing Regulations)
- Policy 402 (Disability Nondiscrimination)
Reviewed: 8-23-01, 3-16-04, 10-19-06, 10-22-09, 05-19-16, 02-18-21
Approved: 9-20-01, 4-22-04, 11-16-06, 11-19-09, 06-23-16, 03-25-21, 04-21-22
100 - School District
200 - School Board
300 - Administration
400 - Employees/Personnel
500 - Students
600 - Education Programs
700 - Non-Instructional Operations and Business Services
800 - Building and Sites
900 - School/Community Relations