POLICY 509.1 - IN-DISTRICT OPEN ENROLLMENT
The Cambridge-Isanti School District places a high priority on ensuring program and service equity between its elementary schools and between its middle schools.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
Class size, program availability, specialists, and support services are examples of areas in which equity is important. To help ensure equity of opportunity and access for all students, Cambridge-Isanti Schools permits only a limited number of resident students to open enroll into an elementary or middle school that is outside of their attendance area.
Limited in-district open enrollment shall be implemented with the following conditions:
- The maximum number of resident students permitted to in-district open enroll in a primary, intermediate or middle school outside their attendance area may be limited to 10 students per grade level.
- Cambridge-Isanti Schools, in-district open-enrollment applications shall be completed and submitted to the Education Services Center not later than January 15 for the next school year.
- Acceptance of in-district, open enrollment applications will be based on a “first-come, first-serve” basis.
- The district will notify the parents of the decision to accept or reject the in-district open enrollment not later than February 15. A copy of the notification shall be forwarded to the Principal of the school in the student’s attendance area, the Transportation Director, and the Superintendent.
- Parents of students accepted for enrollment into an elementary or middle school outside of their attendance area are responsible for transportation to and from that school. If parents choose to bring their student(s) to an existing bus stop location within the attendance area they are selecting, bussing may be allowed if there is space on the bus, providing the parents make the proper arrangements with the Transportation Department. Safety of the student will be the primary determinant in allowing transportation arrangements.
- Student enrollment into the Minnesota Center, School for All Seasons, and Early Childhood Programs is district-wide. Enrollment procedures for those district-wide programs and sites are not governed by this policy.
- Exceptions to this policy may be approved by the Superintendent. Exceptions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Needed program or service is not available at the student’s school of attendance, or
- Verified safety or emotional concerns for a student are present, or
- Family moved to another attendance area and less than 50% of the semester remains. The student will attend the school in their new attendance area when the next semester begins, or
- Family verifies plans to move to another in-district attendance area within the upcoming semester.
Source: Cambridge-Isanti Schools
Reviewed: 8-22-02, 11-21-02, 08-25-15, 10-24-19
Approved: 7-24-00, 9-26-02, 12-19-02, 09-24-15, 11-21-19
100 - School District
200 - School Board
300 - Administration
400 - Employees/Personnel
500 - Students
600 - Education Programs
700 - Non-Instructional Operations and Business Services
800 - Building and Sites
900 - School/Community Relations