POLICY 507 - CORPORAL PUNISHMENT
The purpose of this policy is to describe limitations on corporal punishment of students.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
No employee or agent of the school district shall cause corporal punishment to be inflicted upon a student to reform unacceptable conduct or as a penalty for unacceptable conduct. As used in this policy, the term “corporal punishment” means conduct involving hitting or spanking a person with or without an object, or unreasonable physical force that causes bodily harm or substantial emotional harm.
A teacher or school principal may use reasonable force when it is necessary under the circumstances to correct or restrain a student or prevent bodily harm or death to another. Other school district employees, school bus drivers, or other agents of a school district may use reasonable force when necessary under the circumstances to restrain a student or prevent bodily harm or death to another.
Employees who violate the provisions of this policy shall be subject to disciplinary action as appropriate. Any such disciplinary action shall be made pursuant to and in accordance with applicable statutory authority, collective bargaining agreements and school district policies. Violation of this policy may also result in civil or criminal liability for the employee.
Source: Cambridge-Isanti Schools
- Minn. Stat. § 121A.58 (Corporal Punishment)
- Minn. Stat. § 121A.582 (Student Discipline; Reasonable Force)
- Minn. Stat. § 123B.25 (Actions Against Districts and Teachers)
- Minn. Stat. § 609.06 Subd. 1 (6)(7) (Authorized Use of Force)
- Policy 403 (Discipline, Suspension, and Dismissal of School District Employees)
- Policy 414 (Mandated Reporting of Child Neglect or Physical or Sexual Abuse)
- Policy 415 (Mandated Reporting of Maltreatment of Vulnerable Adults)
- Policy 506 (Student Discipline)
Reviewed: 11-15-01, 04-18-02, 12-14-17, 03-24-22
Approved: 05-20-96, 12-20-01, 05-23-02, 01-18-18, 04-21-22
100 - School District
200 - School Board
300 - Administration
400 - Employees/Personnel
500 - Students
600 - Education Programs
700 - Non-Instructional Operations and Business Services
800 - Building and Sites
900 - School/Community Relations