POLICY 214 - OUT-OF-STATE TRAVEL BY SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS
The purpose of this policy is to ensure out-of-state travel by school board members complies with applicable law.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
School board members have an obligation to become informed on the proper duties and functions of a school board member, to become familiar with issues that may affect the school district, to acquire a basic understanding of school finance and budgeting, and to acquire sufficient knowledge to comply with federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, and school district policies that relate to their functions as school board members. Occasionally, it may be appropriate for school board members to travel out of state to fulfill their obligations.
III. APPROPRIATE TRAVEL
Travel outside the state is appropriate when the school board finds it proper for school board members to acquire knowledge and information necessary to allow them to carry out their responsibilities as school board members. Travel to regional or national meetings of the National School Boards Association is presumed to fulfill this purpose. Travel to other out-of-state meetings for which the member intends to seek reimbursement from the school district should be preapproved by the school board.
IV. REIMBURSABLE EXPENSES
Expenses to be reimbursed may include transportation, meals, lodging, registration fees, required materials, parking fees, tips, and other reasonable and necessary school district-related expenses.
- Requests for reimbursement must be itemized on the official school district form and are to be submitted to the designated administrator. Receipts for lodging, commercial transportation, registration, and other reasonable and necessary expenses must be attached to the reimbursement form.
- Automobile travel shall be reimbursed at the mileage rate set by the school board. Commercial transportation shall reflect economy fares and shall be reimbursed only for the actual cost of the trip.
- Amounts to be reimbursed shall be within the school board’s approved budget allocations, including attendance at workshops and conventions.
VI. ESTABLISHMENT OF DIRECTIVES AND GUIDELINES
The superintendent shall develop a schedule of reimbursement rates for school district business expenses, including those expenses requiring advance approval and specific rates of reimbursement. The superintendent shall also develop directives and guidelines to address methods and times for submission of requests for reimbursement.
Source: Cambridge-Isanti Schools
- Minn. Stat. § 123B.09, Subd. 2 (School Board Member Training)
- Minn. Stat. § 471.661 (Out-of-State Travel)
- Minn. Stat. § 471.665 (Mileage Allowances)
- Minn. Op. Atty. Gen. 1035 (Aug. 23, 1999) (Retreat Expenses)
- Minn. Op. Atty. Gen. 161b-12 (Aug. 4, 1997) (Transportation Expenses)
Reviewed: 4-20-06, 09-18-14, 11-16-17
Approved: 5-18-06, 10-23-14, 11-16-17
100 - School District
200 - School Board
300 - Administration
400 - Employees/Personnel
500 - Students
600 - Education Programs
700 - Non-Instructional Operations and Business Services
800 - Building and Sites
900 - School/Community Relations