POLICY 213 - SCHOOL BOARD COMMITTEES
The purpose of this policy is to provide for the structure and the operation of committees or subcommittees of the school board.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
- It is the policy of the school board to designate school board committees or subcommittees when it is determined that a committee process facilitates the mission of the school board.
- The school board has determined that certain permanent standing committees, as described in this policy, do facilitate the operation of the school board and the school district.
- A school board committee or subcommittee will be formed by school board resolution which shall outline the duties and purpose of the committee or subcommittee.
- A committee or subcommittee is advisory in nature and has only such authority as specified by the school board.
- The school board will receive reports or recommendations from a committee or subcommittee for consideration. The school board, however, retains the right and has the duty to make all final decisions related to such reports or recommendations.
- The school board also may establish such ad hoc committees for specific purposes as it deems appropriate.
- The school board reserves the right to limit, create or abolish any standing or ad hoc committee as it deems appropriate.
- A committee of the school board shall not appoint a subcommittee of that committee without approval of the school board.
III. APPOINTMENT OF COMMITTEES
- The school board hereby appoints the following standing committees:
- Long Range Facilities Planning
- Negotiations Committee(s) for various employee groups certified and non-certified
- Policy Review Committee
- Government/Legislative Committee
- Human Resources/Supt. Evaluation
- Meet and Confer
- The school board will establish, by resolution, for each standing or ad hoc committee the number of members, the term and the charge or mission of each such committee.
- The school board chair shall appoint the members of each standing or ad hoc committee.
IV. PROCEDURES FOR SCHOOL BOARD COMMITTEES
- All meetings of committees or subcommittees shall be open to the public in compliance with the Open Meeting Law, and notice shall be given as prescribed by law.
- A committee or subcommittee shall act only within the guidelines and mission established for that committee or subcommittee by the school board.
- The committee or subcommittee shall designate a secretary who will record the minutes of actions of the school board committee.
- The power of a committee or subcommittee of the school board is advisory only and is limited to making recommendations to the school board.
- A committee or subcommittee of the school board shall, when appropriate, clarify in any dealings with the public that its powers are only advisory to the school board.
Source: Cambridge-Isanti Schools
- Minn. Stat. Ch. 13D (Open Meeting Law)
- Policy 201 (Legal Status of the School Board)
- Policy 203 (Operation of the School Board – Governing Rules)
- MSBA Service Manual, Chapter 13, School Law Bulletin “C” (Minnesota’s Open Meeting Law)
Reviewed: 05-22-08, 09-18-14, 03-23-17, 03-25-21
Approved: 06-19-08, 10-23-14, 04-20-17, 04-22-21
100 - School District
200 - School Board
300 - Administration
400 - Employees/Personnel
500 - Students
600 - Education Programs
700 - Non-Instructional Operations and Business Services
800 - Building and Sites
900 - School/Community Relations