Tools for Improving Instruction, Curriculum, and Student Achievement
As we aspire to be the leader in innovative education offering unlimited options and opportunities it is imperative that we start with the curriculum that is being used. In the Cambridge-Isanti Schools we believe that a high quality, standards based curriculum implemented with effective research based instructional strategies will produce high levels of learning in all students. The goal of the Cambridge-Isanti District Curriculum Committee is to ensure the development of a guaranteed and viable curriculum.
- “Guaranteed” means that every student is provided the opportunity to learn a core curriculum which provides them with the probability of success in school. Marzano considers this “The single most important initiative a school or district can engage in to raise student achievement… ”
- “Viable” means schools make sure that the necessary time is available and protected so students will be able to learn the guaranteed curriculum. This is why benchmarks are prioritized so that some are taught to mastery while others are not.
- “Curriculum” refers to the specific learning standards, lessons, assignments, and materials used to organize and teach a particular course.
- “Curricular Resources” refer to the digital or print versions of units and lessons; the assignments and projects given to students; the books, materials, videos, presentations, and readings used in a course; assessments and other methods used to evaluate student learning.
Cambridge-Isanti Schools curriculum and assessment practices align with the Minnesota Department of Education Academic Standards and requirements. Professional development efforts align with Minnesota State Statutes and industry standards. Intentional alignment and a focus on results drive the work of teacher collaboration to increase student learning. There are two processes of the curriculum review and development:
- Continuous Improvement Process
- Formal Study
To ensure all staff within the organization are engaged in professional growth, using best practices, have access to current curricular resources, and are focused on student achievement, Cambridge-Isanti Schools has dedicated itself to having a toolkit for improving instruction. Below you will find core resources used for improving instruction, curricular resources, and student achievement.
Professional Development Themes
Cambridge-Isanti Schools is focused on developing collaborative partnerships among all stakeholders in order to most effectively instruct and support our students and families. Work will continue with Marzano’s Framework which assists teachers to develop their expertise in best practices over time. The Cambridge-Isanti Professional Development Committee approved the following themes for teacher professional development:
Learning for Every Student, Every Day
Social Emotional Learning and Mental Health
Bluejacket Culture and Climate
Effective Teams and Partnerships
Systems and Technical Training