How is the decision to close schools made?
There is always a potential for severe weather warranting school closings or delays during Minnesota winter months, but the decision to close or delay school is never easy. In the event of a school closing due to inclement weather C-I Schools may activate the eLearning Day Plan as outlined below.
Many variables are considered in order to best ensure the safety of students and staff as we try to accommodate all the families in our district. Unfortunately, it is not possible to make a perfect decision. With the complexity of making weather-related decisions, even neighboring school districts may not reach the same decision. First and foremost, safety is always the priority when making the decision to hold school or not. View More Information on School Closings and Guidelines.
eLearning Day Processes and Procedures
Cambridge-Isanti Schools, as the leader in innovative education, believes that learning can and should occur anytime and anywhere. With this in mind we have created a Flexible eLearning Plan in the event of school closure due to inclement weather where school can be in session without students and staff being physically present in our schools. This Flexible eLearning Plan will redefine what it means to have a "snow day".
If you have any questions about the requirements for the day, you can contact the teacher as described below:
- Teachers can be reached through their school email, a phone call, Google Meet, or for K-2 through their SeeSaw site. Please look for information from your child’s teacher for specific guidance.
- Call your teacher’s district issued phone number that can be found in the staff directory and leave a message. Your teacher will email you addressing the questions that you have and/or they may set up a time for you to call into a Google Meet room in order to get your questions answered. In order to call into a Google Meet room, you will be provided with a phone number and pin.
Communications About a Flexible eLearning Day
The school district will make an announcement in the same manner of a school closing however it will be stated that we would be having school following the eLearning Day Plan, which includes any additional communication will be sent to parents and students by 8:30am for elementary and 9:30am for secondary. Teachers will be in their Google Meet online classrooms from 9am-2pm for elementary and from 10am-3pm for secondary. Students will either enter the Google Meet using the teachers classroom code provided to the students either through email, Seesaw, Google Classroom, or Schoology.
- In grades K-5 and 9-12, the Google Meet code will be the teachers email prefix.
- In grades 6-8, the Google Meet code will either be the teachers email prefix or it will be the code generated through the Google Classroom course. The Google Meet link is located at the top of the course on the course homepage.
In the event that parents have any additional questions, they can contact the teacher directly via email or at their school issued phone number. These can be found on the district's staff directory web page.
Flexible eLearning Day Plan for K-5
- Teachers will send home "Choice Boards" or "eLearning Checklists" for eLearning Days if possible, otherwise they can be accessed at: http://bit.ly/CIChoiceBoards
- At the K-5 level students need to complete activities from the appropriate choice board or elearning checklist for their grade level.
- Work assigned on the Flexible eLearning Day will be review of work already covered in class.
- Completion of the "Choice Board" or "eLearning Checklists" assignments are due 1 week upon returning to school from the Flexible eLearning Day. This sheet needs to be signed by a parent or guardian.
Flexible eLearning Day Plan for Grades 6-12
- Teachers will communicate assignment expectations with students via email and/or their Google Classroom/Schoology course site.
- Students have been trained on where and how to access these assignments.
- Flexible eLearning Day assignments are due within 1 week upon returning to school from the eLearning Day.
More information about the Flexible eLearning Day can be found HERE.