Homeless and Highly Mobile Student (HHMS) Services
Often times students and families are in a situation that economic supports are needed. If your family is staying in a shelter, hotel, or temporarily with others because you’ve lost or cannot afford your own housing, we can help make sure your child has a stable and high-quality school experience.
Riverside Academy Secondary Program is guided by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act. This federal law provides homeless and highly mobile students (HHM) with certain rights so they have access to opportunities that will help them meet the same high academic standards expected of all students in our building(s).
How is Homelessness Defined?
The Mckinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act defines homelessness as children and youth "who lack a fixed, adequate and regular nighttime residence."
This includes children and youth living in the following situations:
- shelters or transitional housing programs
- motels, hotels or weekly rate housing
- doubled up with friends or relatives because family cannot find or afford housing
- abandoned buildings, public space, car or other inadequate accommodation
- awaiting foster care placement (prior to court hearing)
How can Riverside Academy Help my Student in School?
Students who experience homelessness have certain rights provided by the federal McKinney-Vento Act. Eligible children and youth have the right to:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the documents are gathered
- Enroll in the local school; or continue at the last school attended, if that is the guardian's preference and it is feasible
- Receive transportation to and from school, if requested. Transportation could be provided by school bus, Type III school bus (certified vans, taxis, or cars) or city bus pass depending on the situation and grade level of the student.
- Receive free breakfast and lunch
- Have disagreements about school placement decisions resolved quickly
Please contact Rana Burge to access information regarding the above rights.
Rana Burge School Social Worker & HHMS Services Coordinator
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 7:30 - 3:30